Home‎ > ‎Historic Markers‎ > ‎

Johnston's Headquarters

During the fighting at Dallas, New Hope Church, Pickett´s Mill & elsewhere along the opposing Confederate & Federal lines, General J. E. Johnston [Confederate] had h´dq´rs at the Wm. Wigley house (which stood near here) May 25 - June 1, 1864.

Posey Wigley (10 yr. old son of Wm. & Fanny), later recalled seeing Gen. Johnston at his widowed mother´s house and removal of family and household goods to a place of safety - hence, Lt. T. B. Mackall´s reference to "Widow Wigley´s deserted house" as Johnston´s headquarters. 

GHM 110-17 Georgia Historical Commission 1953 

Johnston's Headquarters