Home‎ > ‎Historic Markers‎ > ‎

The March of Hardee's Corps, May 23-25, 1864

Lt. Gen. Hardee´s A.C. [CSA], having marched from Stegall´s Station (Emerson) near the Etowah River & camped at the Dr. Smith house, May 23d, passed New Hope Church on the 24th, enroute to the Dallas front.

This moving left flank of Gen. ]. E. Johnston´s army [CSA] sought to checkmate the right of Sherman´s army [Federal] marching from Kingston in a wide circuit via Van Wert to Dallas.

Hood´s corps [CSA], following Hardee´s from the Etowah, reached New Hope Church, May 25, in time to intercept Hooker´s troops [Federal] in their move toward this position.


GHM 110-16 Georgia Historic Marker 1953

The March of Hardee's Corps, May 23-25, 1864