20th Corps Detours to New Hope Church
One Half mile E. the old road from Burnt Hickory to Dallas joined one leading E. via Pumpkin Vine Bridge, near Owen's Mill, to New Hope Church. May 25, 1864: Geary's (2d), followed by William's (1st) div., 20th A.C. turned E. when assailed by outposts of Hood's A.C. which had reached New Hope from Allatoona.
Pressing forward and reinforced by 4th and 23d A.C., Geary's div. assaulted the intrenched line of Hood's A.C. posted in and near the cemetery at New Hope Church - a battle fought in rain and thunderstorm.
110-4 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1985