Old Burnt Hickory P.O.
May 24, 1864: The 4th, 20th & a div. of the 14th A.C. - Army of the Cumberland [Federal], enroute from Stilesboro, camped in this vicinity, & on the 25th, marched to New Hope Church.
The 23rd Corps [Federal], at Sligh´s Mill, 3 mi. N.E., night of the 24th, moved by Burnt Hickory late afternoon of the 25th & followed the 20th A.C. to the battlefield of New Hope Church.
These troops were center & left of Sherman´s flanking march around the Allatoona Mtns. which was checkmated by Johnston´s Confederate Army at New Hope & Dallas.
GHM 110-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL MARKER 1953